Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A man is known by the apps he keeps

So I have the iPhone4(in the US), in effect I also own a bulky iPod Touch in India. How you ask? Yes, please do because as mere consumers all we can do is ask. I am in a non-negotiable 2 year relationship with ATT which like any other relationship, makes me happy but never looses its leash on me. I cant deny my love for all things apple but you've got to hate it for a lot of reasons too, good reasons I've learnt but we'll come to that in a bit. Why does it happen that the iPhone has the best screen on a mobile phone ever, even to the effect of making you stare at your worst photographs, such a flawless user interface, just the right amount of battery backup, a goddamn iPod on it! and yet be a slave to the rules laid down by Apple? Just like most users, I've been frustrated about this but guess what? Isn't that the difference between iOS and the Android? Isn't that why iPhone is still the most desirable Princess in the mobile world while Android is out to be its Robin Hood?

Apple I now believe is the one company I can trust. Why? Look at the phones around you today or most electronic products for that matter, aren't they all infected with product differentiation? Don't they make money out of ever so slowly introducing features and forcing you to buy upgrades? But how come then the iPhone has undoubtedly the best touch interface ever on a phone? Because it genuinely wants to give its customers the best there is. Quality over quantity is exemplified by this company. But then there are geeks out there who will not be told what to do even if it was worth it and so Jailbreaking the iPhone was made legal. Well its your phone after all, do what you will with it. Not me though, months of trolling the net for dope on Jailbreaking the iPhone has me convinced that Apple would've done it if they could. There's a price you pay for top quality and Apple cannot say this any better than yanking you off its warranty for being "brave". "How difficult can it possibly be for them to let me tether data to other devices", cries a friend of mine to which an android-loving-iPhone-trash talking-yet-using-the-iPhone friend of mine says, "Ah... you know how it is with Steve Jobs, he's always after money and the only way he knows how to earn is consumer enslavement". Not true people! You can't do certain things on the iPhone because if you did, you would be jeopardizing other crucial functionality like battery backup for instance. Don't believe me? Go ahead, be a rebel, jailbreak your iPhone and let's see if you can resist regretting it. May be you think I'm just trying to make myself feel better about chickening out on Jailbreaking, but I'm convinced, you gotta trust Apple.

Having chosen to trust Apple, I must add: I have used the Droid X and its great but I'll just say this, get the iPhone if you want only the best. But if you're the complaining type, get the Android and keep dreaming about what could have been :-P.

1 comments:

A lot of those restrictions like tethering in the early days were more brought about by At&T than apple actually. In fact many of the restrictions including the 2 year contract is not really apple's fault its AT&T's, its the price you pay for paying a lesser price :) .
Though I must say Apple's restrictions are frustrating at times, especially when has to do with apps. Its one of the things i miss in android. Dont like the default messaging (SMS) app change it, dont like the default browser change it. Dont like the default anything change it. Apple doesnt let you do that, that can get annoying at times. Not enough for me not to love my phone though :)

Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds